The electrical systems at 31-81 had been massively updated as part of the 2005 renovation, since then there have been changes in code, updates in technology and better product offerings on the market. 2017 seemed like the right time to update systems and start tying in some of the newly available technology and product into 31-81.
After a few weeks of visiting AngiesList.com, visits to the NYC Department of Buildings Skilled Trades Licensees search and phone calls to half a dozen electricians, Ral-Bar Electric, Inc. was asked to stop by to help refine our project wish lists. After working through the list with Ralph Barba (company VP) the finalized list included:
Nest Protect installation
The Nest Protect features stacked up to be the most comprehensive smoke and C02 detection system we looked at. In addition to a traditional alarm, the Protects also provides a natural language message containing location information like “There is carbon monoxide in the basement” or “There is smoke in the kitchen”. Via the Nest Protect WiFi interconnect, alerts are broadcast on each interconnected device (as well as on smart phones), so no matter where you are in the building, you would know the type of alert and how to avoid a potentially dangerous area. For this project we added:
- Remove and replace 6 existing hard wired smoke detectors throughout the house with Nest Protect Smoke/C02 detectors using Nest provided installation materials and recommended installation methods.
AFCI/GFCI Circuit Breaker and USB/power combo outlet installation
- Disconnect and remove every existing circuit breaker in Apartment 2
- Replace each of the pre-existing circuit breakers with 15- (MPA115AFC) and 20-amp (MPA120AFC) Murray Single Pole 120-volt combination AFCI/GFCI circuit breakers and load test new breakers for each circuit (more on Siemens Murray MPA115AFC MPA120AFC or how Siemens Arc Fault GFCI reduces the risk of electrical fires).
- Replace existing GFCI power receptacles with Leviton T5832-W USB Charger/Tamper-Resistant Duplex Receptacle, 20-Amp that provide power to two receptacles AND two USB ports. (more on LevitonT5832-W USB Charger Duplex Receptacle)
Installation of LED optimized dimmer switch for Kitchen/Living room lights
- Remove existing dimmer switch and replace with a Lutron Deva DVLV-600P-WH Magnetic Low Voltage dimmer. This was done to eliminate the trouble with flickering experienced with newly installed LED lights (replaced halogen) when dimmed. (more on the Lutron Diva dimmer switch).
Steven and Mike spent the better part of a day working through the list above. They guys were prompt, professional and did very solid work. We’ll be calling on Ral-Bar Electric, Inc. for future projects.